A Step by Step Approach to Developing
and Maintaining an Alumni Program
Camp Staff Responsibilities - Advantages and Disadvantages
Volunteer Responsibilities - Advantages and Disadvantages
- most current on camp events, programs, needs
- on-site to meet alumni visitors
- networked into local/national organizations
- ultimately responsible for keeping info up-to-date?
- ultimately accountable for success of alumni program?
- BUT: time and financial constraints can be significant
- additional access to community to contact alumni
- can alleviate administration/financial burdens
- potential for off-site reunions thru volunteer network
- assistance with organization of Alumni Program
- fanatical devotion and passion
- BUT: harder to enforce accountability?
- if there is frequent staff turnover, emphasis on volunteer efforts may be worthwhile.
- similarly, a long-standing camp director or full-time professional may
minimize need for volunteer leadership
- ideal solution is to have one of each (a dedicated camp staff and a
- some camps have separate alumni organizations ("Friends of xxx")